Oklahoma Marijuana Distribution License

Interested in starting a Cannabis business in Oklahoma?

Does Oklahoma Require a License to Distribute Marijuana and Marijuana Products?

Yes. In Oklahoma, business entities or individuals seeking to distribute cannabis must obtain a distributor license known as Transporter License. As stipulated under the Oklahoma Administrative Code 310:681-3-1, Oklahoma marijuana growers, processors, dispensaries, as well as individual agents must obtain the transporter license along with their business licenses to transport marijuana and marijuana products in the state. A medical marijuana transporter license will be only issued to registered growers, processors, dispensers, and individuals as medical marijuana researchers are exempted from obtaining the license.

To obtain this license, applicants may apply to the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA), a department of the Oklahoma State Department of Health. In addition, a marijuana transporter license holder is required to register with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control (OBNDD) after obtaining the distributor license.

Generally, the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority is responsible for regulating and issuing licenses for the cultivation, manufacturing, testing, and distribution of marijuana and other marijuana products in the state.

What Distribution Activities are Covered by Oklahoma Marijuana Distribution License?

In Oklahoma, the transporter license allows distributors to transport marijuana and marijuana products from one licensed marijuana establishment to another. Licensed transporters are allowed to transport marijuana between licensed facilities for cannabis cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and retail. Transported marijuana products must be properly processed, tested, packaged, sealed, and labeled. All marijuana or marijuana products must be transported in a locked container that is clearly labeled “Medical Marijuana or Derivative.” However, the Oklahoma Administrative Code 310:681-3-1 does not state whether distributors can transport marijuana or marijuana products to testing facilities.

Does Oklahoma Offer Transport-Only Distributor License?

Yes. Oklahoma operates a transport-only distribution license which enables holders to transport marijuana and its marijuana products between licensed establishments in the state. Furthermore, holders of the Oklahoma medical marijuana transporter license can transport marijuana for other licensed businesses in the state. A licensed individual or entity can transport medical marijuana on behalf of another licensed individual or entity across the state.

In addition to this transport-only license, Oklahoma also grants a transporter license to a successful applicant awarded medical marijuana grower, processor, laboratory, or dispensary license. This limited transporter license allows the holder to transport their medical marijuana and cannabis products they cultivate, manufacture, test, or sell.

Lastly, Oklahoma has a transporter agent license. This is a mandatory license for every officer, owner, employee, and agent of a licensed medical marijuana business engaged in the distribution of cannabis in the state. Therefore, anyone working for a commercial transporter with a transport-only distribution license or a grower, processor, testing laboratory, or dispensary with a transporter license must obtain a transporter agent license.

How to Get Marijuana Distribution License in Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA) issues medical marijuana transporter licenses among other marijuana licenses in the state. Licensed business entities, individuals, and other stakeholders involved in the distribution and transportation of medical marijuana may apply to the agency.

The Oklahoma Administrative Code 310:681 outlines the eligibility requirements, information, and documents needed by growers, processors, dispensers, and other individuals to obtain a medical marijuana transporter license:

  • Eligible entities such as licensed growers, processors, and dispensaries must submit an OMMA approved business license, while individual applicants must submit a transporter agent employment verification form signed by their employers.
  • Applicants must be at least 25 years old
  • Individual applicants, managers, board members of applying entities must be Oklahoma residents
  • Individual applicants must submit an Affidavit of Lawful Presence
  • Applicants must provide a digital photo that meets the OMMA requirements.
  • Applying entities must show that a minimum of 75% ownership of the business is held by Oklahoma residents
  • Owners and officers of applying entities must provide reports of background checks conducted by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. Applicants charged with nonviolent felony convictions in the last two years or felony convictions during the previous five years will be disqualified.
  • Applicants with controlling interests in the business must not be officers or employees of the state
  • Except the business entity is a sole proprietorship or general partnership, the applicant or applying entity must submit a copy of the certificate of good standing issued by the Oklahoma Secretary of State
  • Applicants must provide ownership disclosure information

The Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority requires an applicant to provide proof of residency and identity. Residency can be established by providing any two of the following documents in digital or color copies:

  • Oklahoma driver’s license
  • Oklahoma identification card
  • Oklahoma voter identification card
  • Utility bills, excluding cellular phone and internet bills
  • A valid rental agreement for residential property located within the State of Oklahoma
  • A residential property deed to a property in the State of Oklahoma

An applicant must also provide any of the following as proof of identity:

  • Oklahoma identification card
  • Oklahoma driver’s license
  • Oklahoma voter identification card
  • International passport issued by the U.S. government

If an applicant is a native American, a tribal identification card issued by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety must be provided. Non-citizens will provide an Affidavit of Lawful Presence Form and any acceptable proof of identity.

Interested persons or entities can apply for the Oklahoma medical marijuana transporter license via the online application portal provided by the OMMA. Applicants may also contact the OMMA for further inquiries on obtaining marijuana transporter license via phone calls, email, or mail at/to:

Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority

P.O. Box 262266

Oklahoma City, OK 73126-2266

Phone: (405) 522-6662

Email: OMMACommunications@ok.gov

How Much Does Marijuana Distribution License Cost in Oklahoma?

Generally, the OMMA charges an application fee of $2,500 (plus $58.30 for credit card processing) for a medical marijuana standalone transporter license. However, it issues a transporter license automatically to successful applicants of its grower, processor, and dispensary licenses for no additional fee. A transporter agent license, on the other hand, costs $25 (plus $2.61 card processing fee). All of these Oklahoma transporter licenses are valid for one year and must be renewed annually for the same costs as the license fees.

Can Licensed Marijuana Distributors Also Get Other Cannabis Licenses in Oklahoma?

No. The state marijuana law does not clarify if licensed cannabis transporters can obtain other cannabis licenses in the state. However, licensed medical marijuana growers, processors, laboratories, and dispensaries can obtain transporter licenses provided they fulfill the OMMA’s requirements.

In this section:
Oklahoma Marijuana Distribution License