Medical Marijuana Research Facility License in Oklahoma

Interested in starting a Cannabis business in Oklahoma?

What Is a Medical Marijuana Research Facility License in Oklahoma?

A medical marijuana research facility license authorizes the licensee to engage in operations such as growing, cultivation, possession, and transfer to other licensed research facilities and authorized testing laboratories by donation or sale of marijuana for approved research purposes pursuant to 63 O.S. § 427.19 et seq.

Does Oklahoma License Medical Marijuana Research Facilities?

Yes. According to the OMMA (Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority) guidelines, an institution or facility looking to conduct research for one or more of the following purposes must obtain a medical marijuana research facility license from the state:

  • To test chemical potency and composition levels
  • To conduct genomic, horticultural, or agricultural research
  • To conduct research on marijuana-affiliated products or systems
  • To conduct clinical investigations of marijuana-derived medicinal purposes
  • To conduct research on the safety and efficacy of administering marijuana as part of a medical treatment

How to Get a Medical Marijuana Research Facility License in Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA) issues medical marijuana research facility licenses to successful applicants. Applications are required to be completed on the OMMA licensing portal. Prior to commencing the application, applicants are advised to check the OMMA Commercial Application Checklist for sections that may apply to their license application. The following will be required to complete an application for a medical marijuana research facility license on the portal:

  • Project Description: The applicant must provide a project description in line with the format highlighted in the licensing guidance document on the OMMA website. Research facility applicants using public funds or working with public institutions are required to provide information and documentation of their involvement and meet additional criteria

  • Certificate of Compliance: The applicant must submit a Certificate of Compliance from the political subdivision with jurisdiction where the facility is located. Research facilities situated in Oklahoma City may submit the certificate provided by Oklahoma City. The applicant may contact their county or city and visit the OMMA commercial licensing page for more information on obtaining a Certificate of Compliance before submitting their application

  • Residency Requirements: If the facility is privately owned, the applicant must show proof of residency to prove that 75% of the owners are Oklahoma residents. Proof of Oklahoma residency may be established by providing a color copy (digital) of one or more of the following documents:

    • Oklahoma driver’s license
    • Oklahoma ID card
    • Utility bills. Cellular telephone and internet bills are not acceptable
    • A property deed to a residential property in Oklahoma
    • A rental agreement for residential property located in Oklahoma
  • Background checks and proof of identification: Pursuant to Title 63 O.S. § 420 et. seq and OAC 442:10-1-5, in order to be eligible for a medical marijuana research facility license in Oklahoma, applicants and certain specified individuals must undergo a state criminal history background check within 30 days of the application date. This includes:

    • Individuals applying on their own behalf
    • Individuals applying on behalf of an entity
    • All principal officers of an entity
    • All owners of an entity
    • All directors, officers, and stakeholders (applicable to corporations seeking a commercial license)
    • For public institutions seeking a research facility license, all principal investigators and co-principal investigators

    The background check can be submitted in paper form by mail, fax, or in person to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI). Alternatively, the state allows the background check to be submitted electronically to the OSBI. Note that applicants with disqualifying criminal convictions are not eligible to receive medical marijuana research facility licenses from the OMMA. A disqualifying conviction is any of the following:

  • Incarceration for any reason during application submission

  • A non-violent felony conviction within the last 2 years of the application submission date

  • A violent felony conviction within the last 5 years of the application submission date

    Applicants with disqualifying convictions will be notified of the decisions made by the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA). Applicants are required to upload background checks as part of their application via the OMMA application portal.

  • Contracts and agreements: If the applicant is using public funds or working with a public institution, they must provide documentation of contracts and agreements that show how public funds or public institutions are involved in the research.

  • Ownership Information: A research facility applicant, if a private business, must supply information on ownership. Required documentation may include copies of articles of organization, bylaws, operating agreements, limited partnership agreements, or other equivalent documents related to ownership

If the research project requires marijuana to be located in 2 locations, the applicant must submit two separate applications. The OMMA will review the proposed project to determine if the project meets the requirements set forth in 63 O.S. §427.19 et seq. This process may last 90 business days after submitting a correct and complete application.

If the application is considered complete and fulfills all requirements, an approval letter and the license will be mailed to the email address listed on the application. If the application is deemed incomplete due to unclear or missing information, you will receive email correspondence stating why it is incomplete. Subsequently, you will be able to make corrections and resubmit the application free of charge. Note that biomedical and clinical research subject to federal regulations and institutional oversight are not subject to OMMA licensure or regulations.

For more information on applying for a research facility license, see the how-to video on the OMMA website or contact the agency:

Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority

PO Box 262266

Oklahoma City, OK 73126-2266

Phone: (405) 522-6662

How Much Does a Medical Marijuana Research Facility License Cost in Oklahoma?

The application fee for a research license is $500. Applicants may complete application fee payments using Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit or debit card. A credit card processing fee will also be included in the transaction fees. The credit card processing fee is about $13.30. The application and processing fees are non-refundable. Research and education licenses are valid for 12 months unless revoked by OMMA. The renewal fee for an Oklahoma medical marijuana research facility license is $500.

Can Medical Marijuana Research Facility Licensees Hold Other Cannabis Licenses in Oklahoma?

The OMMA regulations do not clarify whether medical marijuana research facility licensees are allowed to hold other cannabis licenses in the state.

In this section: