Medical Marijuana Waste Disposal License in Oklahoma

Interested in starting a Cannabis business in Oklahoma?

What Is a Medical Marijuana Waste Disposal License in Oklahoma?

The medical marijuana waste disposal license authorizes a person or entity to possess, transport, and dispose of medical marijuana waste. Medical marijuana waste refers to:

  • Surplus, unused, returned, or out-of-date marijuana; recalled marijuana; unused marijuana; cannabis plant debris, including dead plants and all unused parts of the cannabis plant, excluding seeds, roots, stems, stalks, and fan leaves
  • All products deemed to fail laboratory testing and unable to be remediated or decontaminated,
  • All inventory and products from commercial licensees that:
    • are not subject to the regulations outlined under Section 1560 of Title 12 of the Oklahoma Statutes
    • have gone out of business
    • are unable to be transferred or sold to another commercial licensee

Does Oklahoma License Medical Marijuana Research Facilities?

Per 63 O.S. § 430, no person or entity may possess, transport, or dispose of medical marijuana waste having not obtained a valid medical marijuana waste disposal license. The Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority (OMMA) may issue licenses upon proper application by a licensee and determination by the Authority that the proposed site and facility are physically and technically suitable. Upon a finding that a proposed medical marijuana waste disposal facility is not physically or technically suitable, the Authority will deny the license. The Authority may, upon determining that public health or safety requires emergency action, issue a temporary license for the treatment or storage of medical marijuana waste for a period not to exceed 90 days.

How to Get a Medical Marijuana Waste Disposal License in Oklahoma

Oklahoma medical marijuana waste disposal licenses are issued by the Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Act. To apply, you must meet the basic requirements stipulated by the OMMA. These include:

  • You must have and submit in the application, a permit from the state Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
  • You must present proof of adequate liability insurance or an insurability letter from the insurance company showing these minimum amounts:
    • Pollution Legal Liability: $5 million each occurrence
    • Commercial General Liability: $5 million each occurrence
  • You must be aged 25 or older
  • You must be an Oklahoma resident.
  • Members, managers, and board members of entity applicants must be all Oklahoma residents
  • Entity applicants must have at least 75% ownership held by Oklahoma residents.
  • All owners and officers are required to provide a background check. The existence of a nonviolent felony conviction in the last 2 years or any other felony conviction in the previous 5 years for any owner will disqualify the applicant
  • The applicant must attest the facility's nearest perimeter wall is not within 1,000 feet of the property line for any school
  • Unless the business entity is a general partnership or sole proprietorship, the applying entity must provide a copy of the certificate of good standing issued by the Oklahoma Secretary of State. You may visit the Secretary of State’s website for more information
  • Applicants must submit proof that they are not within 1,000 feet of any entrance to any public or private school
  • You may establish proof of identity by providing a digital, color copy of an unexpired document, such as:
    • Oklahoma driver’s license (front and back)
    • Oklahoma ID card (front and back)
    • U.S. passport or other photo ID issued by the U.S. government
    • Tribal ID card approved for identification purposes by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety:
      • U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs ID card or Oklahoma tribal photo ID cards: Muscogee (Creek) Nation of Oklahoma, Comanche, Kiowa, Apache of Oklahoma, Cheyenne-Arapaho, Absentee Shawnee, Delaware, Choctaw, Caddo Nation of Oklahoma issued on or after January 8, 2008
  • You may establish Oklahoma residency by providing a digital, color copy of any of the following documents:
    • Oklahoma identification card (front and back)
    • Oklahoma driver’s license (front and back)
    • A property deed to a residential property in Oklahoma
    • Utility bills, excluding internet and cellular bills
    • A current rental agreement for a residential property located in Oklahoma
    • State of Oklahoma tax returns
    • Other documentation deemed sufficient by OMMA
  • Each owner must provide an Affidavit of Lawful Presence Form and supporting documentation if not a U.S. citizen

Applications can be submitted only via the OMMA licensing portal. If you are applying as an individual on your own behalf, you will be required to provide the following information:

  • Your first, middle, and last name, and suffix, if applicable
  • Your residential and mailing addresses
  • Your date of birth
  • Your preferred telephone number and email address
  • An attestation that the information you have provided is true and correct
  • A signed statement pledging not to divert marijuana to any individual or entity not lawfully entitled to possess marijuana

If the applicant is an entity, the following information will be required on the OMMA licensing portal:

  • An attestation that the applicant is authorized to make an application on behalf of the entity
  • The full name of the organization
  • The trade name, if applicable
  • The type of business organization,
  • The complete mailing address of the organization
  • An attestation that the facility will not be located on tribal land
  • The telephone number and email address of the entity, and
  • The names, residential addresses, and dates of birth of all owners, members, managers, and board members, if applicable

Note that a submitted application does not guarantee that a waste disposal license will be granted, even if you meet the minimum requirements. Once a license is granted, you may apply for waste disposal facility permits for additional locations.

For more information on obtaining a Medical Marijuana Waste Disposal license in Oklahoma, check the how-to video, see the waste disposal facility license page on the OMMA website, or contact:

Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority

PO Box 262266

Oklahoma City, OK 73126-2266

Phone: (405) 522-6662

How Much Does a Medical Marijuana Waste Disposal License Cost in Oklahoma?

The application fee for a waste disposal license is $5,000. Application fees may be paid by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit or debit card. An additional credit card processing fee of $114.55 applies when completing the payment online transaction. The application and processing fees are non-refundable.

Can Medical Marijuana Waste Disposal Licensees Hold Other Cannabis Licenses in Oklahoma?

The OMMA rules do not state whether medical marijuana waste disposal licensees are allowed to hold other licenses. However, according to 63 O.S. § 430, a medical marijuana waste disposal licensee is not required to obtain a medical marijuana transporter license for the purposes of transporting medical marijuana waste.

In this section: